Thursday, October 30, 2008

Yesterday in Little Rock






Feeling a little more rested this morning and can catch up for yesterday. I'll post pictures from both Tues and Wed.

After all of us sleeping in our *own* beds at the Churchill's, we left right after breakfast and met Kristin, and her son Walter. Walter is in 2nd grade and his class was going to the Heifer Int'l farm. It was a beautiful, fall drive out to the ranch. Once there, we learned how the program helps families in developing countries. The mission of Heifer is the seven M's. Meat, Money, Milk, Materials, Muscle, Motivation, and Manuare. These families are sent a heifer cow, which is a pregnant female who has not had her first calf yet, so that when the mom gives birth, the receiving family can pass the calf along to another family in the village. Also, when the organization ships a heifer, since she is pregnant, they don't have to milk her during the journey.

Not only did the kids and I learn about the program, but we saw all kinds of animals and Jack and Lil got to milk a goat. We saw a donkey, lama, camel, goats, horses, water buffalo, turkeys, chickens, ducks, rabbits, pigs, cows and sheep. It might be as good as San Diego Zoo!

We had a picnic lunch at the ranch and headed home. The kids did some schoolwork back at the Churchill's while I fantasized about a nap. I fixed an early dinner, and when Mrs. Churchill got home from work, we went to Boo at the Zoo for Halloween fun. Krisitn (Kevin Churchill's sister) was there with her two boys, and we had a great time. When the zoo was first mentioned as an activity, I internally had a feeling of panic. I, naturally, pictured us trick-or-treating all around the San Diego Zoo... I thought, "Oh my, are the kids (read MOM) going to be tired, walking all around the zoo for three hours." Kristin put me at ease when she said that the Little Rock Zoo is about 1/16 the size of San Diego. Okay! I can do that!

It was a perfect night to be at the zoo. Lots of little kids all in their costumes-it was really cute. I laughed at myself and have learned a lesson-- most of you know that I am a planner. Shocking, I know. I've learned I can't plan too far ahead. That said, since we will be at the Churchill's lakehouse cabin on Halloween, where it is not condusive to trick-or-treating, I told the kids they could each pick out their OWN bag of candy at Wal-Mart, and they could share amongst themselves. Well, Wal-Mart only had the Costco size bags of candy. Not what I had in mind. So the kids each have one giant bag of candy. Then the Boo at the Zoo came up. Lots of candy there. On the way home last night, I reminded them how nice it is to give candy to the troops. "Maybe we should send some home with Dad and he can drop it off at school!" The RV/sugar combo may put me right over the edge.

After the zoo, Kathy and Spence were good victims. I showed them my trip map and they very patiently listened to all the stories. And then to boot, they reviewed all the directions for their lakehouse, where we will be driving today. We also watched the end of the Rays/Phillies game. What a finish that was.

Mike lands at 230pm today, so we'll pick him up at the airport, and we'll drive back to the Old Mill (because it was so cool). From there we'll continue 2 hours north to Greer's Ferry Lake where we will stay until Sunday.

We have absolutely loved being in Little Rock with the Churchills. Sammy is ready to move into their kids' room. It has been wonderful to be in a warm home with such a nice family. Thank you Churchills!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What great pictures!! Longing for some sort of "fall" signal over here...I think one of the branches on my palm tree may be turning brown..sadly, that's about it. Happy Halloween!!!

Kim Prendergast said...

The photos are great...I'm sure not doing justice to the beautiful scenery. I love the ocean, but appreciate the peace of woods and water too!
Hugs to all!
Kim