Wednesday, October 1, 2008

We love Iowa




The day started out SLOW--kids slept late, Lilly woke up at 9am! By the time we left the Days Inn, it was 1045. Not the early morning risers we once were. The RV still smells like burnt pizza, and as I backed up to leave, I hit a parked car. But, no damage to either party, however, it was very embarassing since I did it in front of a picnic table full of people. All their eyes were wide, and my head was low, so I peeled on out of there! Like I can actually peel out at all.

We drove one hour to the Field of Dreams. It was awesome. We ran the bases, sat on the bleechers, took pictures, walked in the corn and Jack and I had a catch. Typical me, I got all sappy reading about baseball, the simplicity of life, and living your dream. I'm such a sap. It was pretty cool to think about being in the same place as James Earl Jones and Kevin Costner. Since it was cold, not like San Diego right now, we were just about the only people there. It was so fun.

From Field of Dreams, we drove into Dubuque, had lunch, and per request, we went to Wal-Mart so the kids could use their gift cards from Amy. Thank you Amy! Something about Wal-Mart, you just want to buy crap since it seems so cheap.

We finally got out and drove to downtown Dubuque which sits right on the Mississippi River. Across the river is Illinois and Wisconsin. We went up "the steepest outside elevator in the US" for 50 cents and had a great view. We all thought it was great.

But what is really fun is our campsite. We are litterally camped on the banks of the MIssissippi River, watching the paddle boats go up and down river. There's a pirate ship park behind the RV, and it's peaceful here. I just think this is about the coolest thing. Feels very Huck Finn/Tom Sawyer.

I put in a picture of Crazy Horse since it didn't seem to work on the post last night--that was the memorial near Mt. Rushmore.

Jackson:
The Mississippi is amazing. Field of Dreams is beyond words. It's everything I thougth it would be, unique amazing and totally the best movie idea ever. It's heaven for any boy that likes baseball as much as I do.

Lilly:
Today I liked riding in the shortest, steepest elevator ever. Field of Dreams was fun because I like standing in the corn yelling, "I'm melting!" The Mississippi River is very cool. From, Lilly

Sam is sleeping... maybe we can get something from her tomorrow.

1 comment:

lizzie said...

hey its lizzie the video is ssssssssssssssssoooooo funny wat is the horse thing Happy b-day jack 11 wow only 9 months younger than us tell everybody hi stay up to midninght your da will luv it love lizzie