Thursday, November 27, 2008

HAPPY THANKSGIVING



Well, we've made it. We did what we set out to do. I am so proud of the kids. They did an awesome job. Yesterday was one of our best days yet-depsite a day of rain. One might think what do you do in an RV all day long with three kids??? Between school, art, reading, writing, showers, laundry and taking breaks when the rain stopped, the day flew by. The kids (and I) listened to Sound of Music and Christmas songs all day long. I was a big fan of the Sound of Music choice, no big surprise there. It was 10pm by the time we all went to bed.

Last night we had the storms of all storms. At 3am thunder and lightening lit up our sky. It felt like it was right overhead. Jack and I were upstairs and woke right up. When rain hits the RV, it sounds like little pebbles are falling on us. The lightening illuminated the entire campground. It was very exciting. I got down to cover up Lilly who had also awakened. She looked at me and said smiling, "when the dog bites, when the bee stings..." I thought that was pretty clever for 3am.

Mike (and the dogs) left San Diego early this morning and are headed our way. We'll have a memorable Thanksgiving in the RV. On Friday (Jana's birthday!), we'll caravan down to Phoenix where Mike, the kids and the dogs will camp for the night. Jackson has scouted out his last Cabela's and will go there tomorrow. I, on the otherhand, will go to the airport and pick up Heidi and Bertie who will spend a girls weekend with me back in Sedona!! I have a massage booked for Saturday. Boy, does my back need that. MIke and kids will get home Saturday, and Bertie and I will drive home in the MDX on Sunday night.

And that's the end. We are ending on Thanksgiving which is pretty fitting. I think it's safe to say that we are all very grateful for not only doing the trip, but also that we had a safe return. I also think we have a deeper appreciation for all that we have in our country, and we have an enormous amount of respect for those who died not only for our freedom but for theirs. We live in a pretty amazing place. It's a big sense of accomplishment, and if anything, I hope we've learned that YES, WE CAN.

Happy Thanksgiving to all-


Sammy
It's not the end for us three kids because my Mom is not doing it anymore, but my Dad and us three are going to still camp. I liked the trip in genereal because of the hooking up part. I think that may be kinda fun, how you hook up the RV. The trip also has made me think like we got to see a lot of sutff compared to other people. And they don't get to see Mt. Rushmore and the Grand Tetons and White Sands. I am happy we did this trip.

Lilly
I can't beleive we made it to the end, and about the trip, I really liked all of it except Hoover Dam. I really like seeing Mt. Rushmore, Grand Tetons and White Sands. I liked having mornings when we just listened to music and I got to lie in bed.
I think, "Wow, we made it."

Jackson
It was really nice to be able to be mellow in the morning, and not rush, and maybe just go out and play in the rain. It was just a really amazing trip. I am very glad we did this.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray! Happy Thanksgiving, guys! I can't believe how fast the time flew by on your trip! We can't wait to hear some stories when you get home.. Kate will be waiting for you all! I told her the RV was coming back home and she hasn't stopped talking about it since.

It's been really rainy here....our pool is almost filled to the top!

Sharon said...

I'm so proud of you ALL! What an amazing adventure that you will remember forever. Kids, their aren't many moms out there in the world that would take you on such an adventure. Happy Thanksgiving.
Gretch, have a blast on your spa retreat!
xoSharona

Unknown said...

Sounds like your kids are very thankful for such a cool mom and dad who would ever consider such an adventure! Can't wait to ask you a zillion questions.
Will look forward to your book release party! Tee hee.
Enjoy Enjoy Enjoy the Spa!!
Love, Kim

Mark said...

WoHoo!! I'm so happy for you guys who had a dream and captured it! During our travels, we met lots of folks who wished they could do the same but never took the step forward. Great going! This trip will forever live in your memories as a high point in your lives.

Keep the blog going and update us on future shorter trips you take in the RV.

Mark from AwayWeGo.US