Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Remember the Alamo!




What a great day. After taking the BUS into town, we went right to the Alamo. As luck would have it, we were there just as a touching Veteran's Day ceremony was starting. It was an honor to be there as the men and women who served our country stepped forward to be recognized. Rhody, the kids all thought of you too.

We began our audio tour and Jack could not get enough. The girls pooped out, claiming that hunger was overwhelming them. I left Jack at Alamo, and the girls and I went for sandwiches. After lunch all of us rejoined and watched a short History Channel movie on the Alamo. Charlotte, it was not the gory one! There was so much to see and learn, we may have to do another day there. It was the site of one of the bloodiest battles for Texas' independence from Mexico. Davey Crockett was there and is one of Jack's idols. In March of 1836, the Alamo fell under the leadership of Santa Ana. All the men fighting for Texas were killed, except for a few slaves.

From Jack:
The Alamo is problbaby going to tie in first for favs for me. It was a sanctuary, shrine, museum, memorial and a sign of Texas independece all at one place. I was looking forward to this for the entire trip. This spot made me happy and very sad. At times I wondered what would happen if I were there, knowing that Santa Ana would attack that morning of March 6, 1836. I was suprised that there are many mysteries and very few remainders of the missions. I loved it. I cannot express how much I loved it. I can't believe I am where I am now. This spot is the earliest spot I know that I have wanted to go to. It was so cool!

GB:
From the Alamo we strolled along the Riverwalk and into the Rivercenter Mall. We decided to catch a movie (not something educational which I have been fairly focused on). We saw Madagascar. I *wish* I had been tired enough to sleep. The kids loved it.

After the movie we walked back down to the Riverwalk and had an early dinner. The bus ride home was exciting as by then it was dark, and I had no idea where we were. Thankfully the bus driver took pity on us and announced our KOA stop.

Tonight is journaling, math and reading. Happy Veteran's Day. Today is our 10th week out. I'm so proud of the kids and how well they are traveling. They're ready to go home, but they don't want to go yet--they're still excited about what's left to do. It's all good.

2 comments:

4 Fortunes said...

Glad you're having so much fun in Texas! Wish we were there :-( Glad that Jack was able to get all the time he wanted at The Alamo. Good call Mom! Has "Remember the Alamo" set in yet?!?!?

Sharon said...

Very cool Jackson! Glad you enjoyed it so much.
Sharona