Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Lonely Star

What an interesting night we had. At 2am, HUGE raindrops came pounding down on the RV. The wind was howling, and at one point I thought there was hail. I was "upstairs" (what we all call the top bunk), and I was lying there thinking, "I hope the caulk is still good..." It was, and we remained dry. The wind kept whipping around, and I thought we might be like Dorthy and Anutie Em with the RV floating up into the sky. I peaked out of our window and saw all the other RVs still on the ground, so I figured we weren't space bound. The rain finely ceased so sleep could resume.

When we left the campground and headed to Dallas, Sam saw the Texas state flag and said, "Look! There's the Lonely Star!" I thought it was classic. Jackson did correct her and said, "No Sam, it's the LONE Star." Who knows, maybe the Lonely Star will stick.

NEVER have I seen such a maze of freeways than what I witnessed in Dallas. I prepped the kids early on in the day saying, "I will be *very* focused when we drive to the museum, so please no yelling." They complied and we made it to the 6th Floor Museum just fine.

Coincidently, the weather today was as beautiful as it was on the assassination, nearly 25 years ago this month. The museum is in a 20th-century warehouse known in 1963 as the Texas School Book Depository. We stood on the 6th floor, looked out the window where Lee Harvey Oswald aim his fatally imposing shot, and imagined the motorcade passing below on Houston and Elm. The original footage that we watched was awesome and very moving. One thing that Sam liked about the museum today was the movies. Jack liked it because it just focused on one event.

From Dallas I navigated our way through the beginnings of rush-hour traffic and headed south towards Houston. I couldn't find a safe place to camp, so we're in some dumpy little Inn for the night. It's nice to at least be an hour closer to Houston for our drive tomorrow, but I can't wait to be out of here, and the sooner the better!

I'm much less clausterphobic today than I was last night with the kids. The RV seems to be getting smaller and smaller... I'm wondering if by the time we get home it will feel like four people riding in a motorcycle side car.

No pictures tonight as photos were not allowed in the museum. Lilly took some shots of Dallas as we drove in, but I didn't download them. You can look at a picture of Dallas on the web....maybe find JR too.

No comments: