Thursday, September 18, 2008

Wyoming, finally




I'm pooped, so here's the cliff note version of the last 36 hours...kids are sleeping or I'd make them write!
We left Denver yesterday and happily stopped one more time in Evergreen to see an old friend of ours, Julie Antenucci. She and her husband, Ted, were a big part of our moving to Evergreen 10 years ago, so it was great to catch up.

We left Evergreen and drove to Steamboat, smelling burning brakes most of the way. We stopped for lunch in Steamboat (I even cooked lunch in the Big-Broken-down-Turd in the City Market parking lot!), and I called the shop guys. They assured me all was fine with the new brakes, despite the horrible smell and haze.

After lunch we drove to Strawberry Hot Springs which was amazing!! We all had a ball, and it was beautiful. We left Steamboat and 5pm and began driving towards Rock Springs, WY, my layover spot before Jackson Hole. Long story short, we got so lost, on some county road that turned into a dirt road. And when the sun went down, and I didn't have cell coverage, and I had no FU&^%$#@?+@##ING idea where I was going since the road on THE MAP looked just fine, and no one knew WHERE I was, and there was not a soul or a light around for miles, I turned back. I knew how much gas I would need, and how many miles I had gone, so that was that. Half scared out of my mind, we got back to Craig, CO and spent the night.

Today, to make up for lost time, we had to drive 8 hours to Jackson Hole. It was soo worth it. We love it here, and are safe and sound. We went to Town Square and all had a chance to swim and hot tub. Tomorrow we'll have some time in town again before heading into Teton Park. Saturday we head to Yellowstone and meet Brynn and Riley! Can't wait.

Going to bed-

4 comments:

4 Fortunes said...

WOW, that's some creative use of punctuation my dear friend. So glad (and amazed) you kept your cool. You are such a road warrior! We're curious how many miles the Big White Lightening Turd has logged???

In case you were wondering, the hood is not the same without you! xoxo - The Fortunes

Anonymous said...

Indeed...it is pretty quiet over here.

So happy to hear from you guys safe and sound! We worry if we don't see a post every day.

Sharon said...

Way to make it happen! I love the hot springs photos. Adventure, adventure, adventure!
Hugs,
Sharona

Unknown said...

ahh thats so scaryyy ...glad it all worked out though :]
Aunt laurie, Katie, Megan, Jefe, miche, lizzie and me (seana) all miss you!